Tuesday, 13 November 2012

Alone with the Sea

The Artists in Blogland challenge is up and I'm eager to take part. I like being part of such a nurturing community as I continue my art journey.

Headline Prompt:  Security:  What makes you feel safe and secure?  What rattles your sense of security?  Where do you go for comfort and refuge?
Color Prompt:  Cool colors (blues, greens, violets, etc.)
Quote Prompt: You can't make a place for yourself in the sun if you keep taking refuge under the family tree.  - Helen Keller

I've gone with the first and second prompts. Funnily enough I've made a place for myself in the sun by moving to Australia away from my family... :-)

My safe place is the seashore. Not staring out at the sea, but crouched over the tide line looking through shells and sea debris or in rock pools. It comes from my childhood where I have many happy memories of both my mum & dad sharing these moments with me.

Later in life I studied marine biology and it was the shells, the invertebrates & the seaweeds that fascinated me. I still live by the sea, 5 minutes walk away, so my safe place is never far.

My process

1. Gesso the page.
2. Draw shell like swirls in Neocolour II crayons then blend them with water.
3. Splatter Ariondacks ink (denim & espresso) over.
4. Draw shell shapes, colour with Neocolour II, cut out and gel medium to the page.
5. Draw the little girl then paint with acrylics.
6. Write my memory and highlight with orange gel pen.
7. Orange & black paint splatters.

I like the movement in the writing.

I don't like... nothing! :-)

I hope your safe place is always near too.

16 comments:

  1. This is lovely! I especially like the shell background. There is something so soothing about walking on the beach picking over whatever the sea has brought in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy, and yes, soothing is just the right word. :-)

      Delete
  2. thanks for visiting my blog and commenting, the post-it note page was such fun to do. your journal pages are looking so fantastic, I love the one about the list of african animals you want to see, so dramatic. I hope you drop by again, maybe join our Artist's Play Room challenge every Saturday. Hope to see you there!
    Best,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words Jenn, I'll take a look at your challenge this weekend. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi there :)
    I love your journal page and your description of the sea and why it is your safe place. Made me remember what it feels like to be at a wonderful beach...
    And I like yor cute little girl :)

    Mandel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandel, so glad to have helped some memories. :-)

      Delete
  4. Love your art, it has a warm feel to it and sea is my element too so Ican totally appriciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ritva, so lovely it's a special place for you too.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful journaling page. I love the little kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magical! Your memories of the sea and the little one crouched down examining the gifts of the tide are pure magic! So glad you shared this with Fall Fearless and Fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn, it's a magical place for me so I'm glad that comes across.

      Delete
  7. That's beautiful..... I love the colours and the words. Magical!

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely artwork and I like how this week's prompts brought back such happy memories for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I appreciate all feedback, good or bad, and love reading through your remarks.